Friday, August 17, 2007

Vegetable Cornbread, low-carb style

I'm a southern boy with diabetes. And cornbread is pretty high in carbs. That's a problem.

Start with one pachage of corn muffin mix.

Add an egg.

Chop up a large yellow squash (or a couple of medium sized zucchini) and put it in a blender along with a handfull of sliced jalepenos.

Puree it. Run the blender until it turns to mush.

Add it to the corn muffin mix. Mix it all up with a fork.

You want the mixture to be somewhat firm. Firm enough so that you can pick up a large glob with spoon and have to remove it from the spoon by using your finger.

Add Carbquik Baking Mix until the mixture reaches the right consistency. If you add to much you can thin with low-fat milk or with water.

I don't know how much of the low-carb flour substitute you'll have to add because it depends on how much water was in the squash, and how much squash you used.

The more squash you use the lower the carbs, but also the lower the cornbread taste. So you'll have to find you own level.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been searching on amazon for a good book to help me get through my diet. In the end I googled it and found this site http://www.hungryforweightloss.com.

They are giving away a free ebook called "365 tips for healthy living". I didn't expect it to be any good because it's free but it's actually brilliant so I thought i'd share it here :)

February 9, 2010 at 5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home