Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I just don't get it

I really just don't understand what goes through the minds of the people at American Diabetes Association. I just don't get it.

Today's recipe of the day is for cornbread.

One box of corn muffin mix, one egg, one can of creamed corn. Mix and bake.

They are suggesting that diabetics take cornbread and add some corn to it because twice the carbs is better?

Are they drunk?

How about jalapeno cornbread? Did they ever think of something like that as a substitute for more corn? It just seems insane to me. Maybe somebody can explain it to me?

A cup of creamed corn has about href="http://www.carb-counter.org/veg/search/Corn/1100">46g of carbs.

A cup of chopped pepper (green peppers or jalapenos) is about 7g of carbs.

Their recipe makes 8 servings, and they estimate 26g per serving. That's about double what a typical carb serving is. If instead of adding corn to the corn meal mix you add a mixture of peppers (mix of green pepper and jalapeno depending on your taste) you can cut that about in half.

So why don't they suggest that? Diabetes is about carbs. Carbohydrates. We're supposed to pay attention to that stuff.

I don't understand it.

If I was paranoid I'd think they are getting donations from drug companies and want to encourage everyone to be drug and insulin dependent.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home